Re-entry Visa

Published April 2019.

Re-entry - 1 Reentry Visa

Period up to 1 year

As of July of 2012, was introduced the special re-entry permission system. Foreigners holding the zairyu card will not be required to apply for re-entry permission when leaving Japan, as the new system allows people to leave and return to Japan within the 1 year. But if the person does not return to Japan within the 1 year period, he will lose the visa.

If your visa has a period of stay of less than 1 per year, the period of your return to Japan will be until the visa expires, otherwise you will lose your visa.

Period above 1 year

When foreigners residing in Japan provisionally leave the country and wish to return to Japan with the same stay (visa) qualification, re-entry must be requested in advance.

If you leave Japan without a re-entry permit, your stay qualification (visa), which you had prior to leaving Japan, will be canceled. On the contrary, if you leave Japan with the re-entry permission, you do not need to apply for a new visa.

5 thoughts on "Re-entry Visa"

  1. Aníbal Gustavo Martins okumura said:

    I have a doubt I am Brazilian married to a descendant I have seen 3anos with her, only that I came back to Brazil not long ago, and I would like to return to Japan but only that she does not return to Japan will be able to return without her I I have reentre a year, in case back alone without being able to enter Japan.

    1. CJ 日本 Guide said:

      Good morning, you can go back alone. No problem, if your visa has not expired, you can stay until your visa expires.

  2. Hello, I wanted to clear up a doubt… I left Japan in 2017, and next week it will be 2 years since I’m in Brazil, I have this little piece of paper in my passport talking about reentry. And I have a permanent visa too. I would like to know if what is written on the reentry paper, in brackets, means that if the person has a permanent visa, the reentry is valid for 2 years. And if I can go back to Japan before I turn 2 here in Brazil.

    1. CJ 日本 Guide said:

      Good morning, if you're writing in re-entry 2 years, you have to return until two years, because if two years have passed the visa, you will have to take the visa again.

  3. In the case of permanent visa?

Leave a comment:

Your Kei Awaits You
Advertise here
Website Guide
Company Registration - Guia Canal Japao
Club Mokuhyou Shinbun
Web Journal - Connection Japan