Shaken is a mandatory inspection, required by Japanese law, for all cars traveling in Japan. The shaken survey is done every 2 years, but for new cars (0 kilometer) the first (shaken) survey is after 3 years and the first survey is much cheaper (less than half price).
Many people end up paying a price for others to do the car SHAKEN, in fact it is not so expensive, you can go do the Shaken yourself, if you have questions the Japanese attendants are there to assist.
Items checked in Shaken are
- Wheel Alignment
- Brake operation
- Oil leak
- Gas pollution level
- Lamp Functioning: Alert, Arrow, Brake, Reverse, Headlight, Plate, Windshield Wiper and Water Jet
- Panel lamp functions: parking brake and driver's belt
The survey may be done by the car owner himself or by a replacement.
It is recommended not to use the car with the expired Shaken, this will incur a fine.
- Current Compulsory Insurance Policy
- The Car Registration - Shaken-shou
- Last Stamped Car Tax Receipt
- Tenken - Proof of Car Service and Overhaul
※ Look for a car agency to do the inspection (Tenken).
Expenses for Kei Shaken
- Tax Rate
- Liability insurance
- Car weight tax (stamp)
Description / Values
- Tax Rate, stamps are used to pay taxes and fees to the country. The stamp fee that must be paid at the time of vehicle inspection is the fee for issuing the certificate of inspection. Seal costs vary depending on where the vehicle inspection is performed, usually between 1.100 yen to 1.800ienes.
- Liability insuranceIt is a compulsory insurance that you must pay if you own a car. It is the auto liability insurance, in case of an accident the insurance covers the damage caused to another person. The insurance amount 2 years (24 months) is 25.870 yen.
- Automobile weight tax (stamp), vehicle weight tax must be paid on the date of shaken renewal (vehicle inspection). Values:
- Up to 12 years old - 5.000 yen
- Up to 12 ecological years - 6.600 yen
- Over 13 years - 8.200 yen
- Over 18 years - 8.800 yen
To make SHAKEN you need to book in advance and this procedure is all done over the internet, on the website of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (Japanese only) https://www.kei-reserve.jp/smart/index.html. But you can do it yourself too, but it should take longer.
Recommendation Aichi-ken and Region
Tenken 3.000 yen.
Promotion to our readers
Doubts or Budget
(Budget for any problem with your car here, you will get a special discount)